Monday, March 9, 2015

Snow

No night nurse last night and no one on Thursday night, either. Thursday was due to snow. I like snow, I do. Growing up I used to head out the back door cross-country skiing. Snow was a backdrop to life in winter.

Here, obviously, in Maryland, it's a door closing--everything shuts down. The lattice work on the trees is, of course, gorgeous, but everything's undermined by this grating sense of inevitability. I don't get out as often as I like and snow reinforces the sense of isolation, even in an area with a high population density. While everyone else enjoys the nesting, my brain is shrieking that I'm trapped. In the house. Again.

My husband and I now stay up together on the nights without a nurse. We watch movies downstairs and let Robert sleep on the couch. We drift off to sleep intermittently. It feels much better to have company than to be the night watch. Gads, look what happens to them in Game of Thrones.

In fact, the great wall of ice and snow keeping out the barbarians, or whatever might pass for barbarians on GoT because, well, they're all barbarians in one way or another--the wall is a great example of how I feel about snow. The night is dark and full of terrors.

Lying on the couch last night, I focused my mental energy on causing the snow to melt.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Slowly melting, melting slowly -- over the living and the dead.